Monday, February 7, 2011

The Outing of the King

(Words and music, 2007)


The king, he said,
"I'm on my own,
I've wasted time,
my light has shone
for too long now,
I'm dying out,
I'm going to see for myself
what the world is all about."

He placed his robe
down on the ground,
his subjects swore,
the only sound
was the ringing jewels
around the neck
of the cotton-mouthed king
and his two-toned neglect.

And no one heard
the old man cry,
for he was just an old pharaoh
drowning in the Nile,
and when his arms rose
to show his love,
he looked up
and saw the one-eyed sun
spit down from up above.

So the king, he walked
right up the street,
trying to be funny
to the folks he'd meet,
'cause when people laugh,
they're entertained,
and then they're more willing
to forget all of their pain.

He saw the people,
they were working hard,
to meet demands
and feed their kids,
the lid upon the money jar
was up too high
for the modest hands to reach.

So the king he smiled,
and bit his nails,
for he held hands
with God until
he saw his land
was really hell,
so he looked up
and became the victim
of some kind of religious spell.



No comments:

Post a Comment